On August 6th, the Northfield/Crescent Safety Committee of the Saint Johns Community Association was briefed by the project manager for Howard County Capital Project K-3035. The safety improvements included in the project are everything the Safety Committee requested and more. Weather permitting, the project should be completed by the beginning of the school year (Monday, August 25th).
Project construction will produce:
- A 6-8 foot wide macadam pedestrian pathway through Dunloggin Park linking the Whitehall/Crescent crosswalk to Northfield Road
- Widening of the Northfield/Crescent Road corner so school busses may turn safely there
- Leveling Northfield Road west of Crescent Road
- A concrete sidewalk with standard 7 inch curbs, gutters, and curb cuts allowing handicapped access as mandated by ADA standards on Northfield Road west of Crescent
- Parallel parking for 10-11 cars off Northfield Road across from Northfield Elementary School
- Paving and striping of the old gravel lot across from Northfield Elementary School to maximize parking spaces there
Thanks to Ann Haynie Green of the Northfield/Crescent Safety Committee for this information.